Tree of Life Interfaith Temple
Personalized Affiliation: Interfaith
Spiritual Spheres: Interfaith, Interspiritual, Spiritual Independent
Category: Formation/Training School
Email: [email protected]
The Tree of Life Interfaith Temple offers worship services weekly on Sundays and on certain holidays. ALL ARE WELCOME!
Our Seminary Program and programs in the form of classes, workshops, and retreats, offer an interspiritual approach to bringing the Divine into everyday life.
We are a community of ordinary people forging the extra-ordinary mission to create a place where we may practice truly seeing the Divine within all peoples of all religions.
Spiritual Mentoring Certificate Program
Registration for the Spiritual Mentoring Certificate Program is NOW OPEN for the 2022-23 season. Please visit our website to request more information or to apply: https://www.tolinterfaithtemple.org/spiritual-mentoring-certificate-program.html
Spiritual Mentoring offers the opportunity to hold another in a space of love, compassion, and acceptance as they seek to align with their own inner Divinity. A spiritual mentor creates a space in which a mentee will be seen, heard, and guided on their spiritual journey. This profound opportunity to guide another makes the mentoring process a sacred opportunity to sit with another and experience the Divine Beloved within the mentee.
The Spiritual Mentoring Certificate Program is especially designed for those wanting to cultivate the inner presence and skills necessary for offering mentoring to those in need. This program is open to ordained clergy, seminarians in training, as well as to mental health counselors and other helping professionals who may desire to incorporate a spiritual focus into their practice. If you are interested in this program but do not find yourself in one of the above categories, please contact us to discuss your particular situation and, together, we can assess the appropriateness of this program for you.
The Goals of Spiritual Mentoring are to . . .
- Create a safe container where the client can feel seen, heard, and honored.
- Deepen and strengthen the client’s experience of and relationship to the Divine in a way that is authentic and meaningful to them.
- Help the client to name, understand and work with the problems, blocks, and patterns in their life by using spiritual perspectives and practices.
- Guide the client to assume self-responsibility, not for all that happens to them, but for how they choose to be with what happens.
- Assist the client in remembering their Wholeness, integrating all aspects of the self - physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual.
- Support the client in the cultivation of compassion (heart), discernment (mind), and courage (action).
Sample Topics Covered in the Spiritual Mentoring Certificate Program
- Developing the mentor/client relationship - establishing trust
- Deep listening - qualities of presence - skills of attunement
- Basic skills: reflecting feelings, restating information, questioning, offering reflections
- Identifying the core issue(s) - going beyond the “story”
- The use of spiritual practices in the mentoring process, e.g. prayer, meditation, journaling
- Cultural and identity awareness
- Working with trauma, grief and loss
- Understanding the spectrum of anxiety, depression, and addictions
- Seeing the client as a mirror - ongoing self-awareness and growth
- Scope of practice - knowing our limits - when and how to refer out
- Ethical issues - confidentiality and boundaries
- Self-care - exploring our personal practices
- Envisioning your Spiritual Mentoring practice - professional and practical issues
- Ongoing support for the mentor
Dates and Times
The class will meet one full Saturday and one Wednesday evening per month from September 2022 until June 2023. Specific dates will be forthcoming.
The class will be structured to be available in dual-mode, allowing participants to be either in-person or online via Zoom.
The cost for the program is $1800. Payment plans are available. If you have taken the program in the past, a discount will be available.
Beth Cohen is a psycho-spiritual counselor and bodymind therapist in private practice. She was ordained by the Tree of Life Temple in 2013 and certified as a Spiritual Mentor in 2018. She holds a Masters Degree in Counseling and Dance/Movement Therapy from Antioch New England Graduate School.
She worked for many years in the mental health field as a counselor and expressive arts therapist, and in the holistic health field as a bodymind practitioner, yoga and meditation teacher, and massage therapist.
Her greatest passion is exploring human potential and the evolution of humanity. She loves dance, yoga, music, creative writing, and all creatures great and small. She can often be found walking in the woods with her dogs, or lying in a hammock with a good book.
Carrie A. Ives is an interfaith spiritual director and ordained minister with personal and professional experience working with cancer and other chronic illnesses. Her program ‘Spiritual Resiliency: 5 Facets to a Complementary Treatment Program’ and her book ‘Chronically Inspired: Living a Divine Calling through Chronic Illness’ (working title, under contract with PageMill Press) both explore the intersection of spirituality and chronic illness. She is trained in trauma and trauma-informed care. Carrie serves on the Leadership Council of Tree of Life Interfaith Temple in Amherst, NH. She leads worship services 4-5 times per year.
Carrie is a longtime member of First Parish Unitarian Universalist Church in Chelmsford, MA and is currently studying for a Masters of Spirituality at Merrimack College, Andover, MA. She lives in Chelmsford with her two partners and their three fur-babies.
Feel free to contact us with any questions, or visit https://www.tolinterfaithtemple.org/spiritual-mentoring-certificate-program.html
We look forward to hearing from you!