Volume 26, Number 1
March 2020


Friends of God and Prophets: The 2002 SDI Symposium Address

Mary Ann Scofield, RSM

God has been really concerned about the way the world is heading. There seems to be so much greed and strife and wars and troubles, people not taking care of one another. So God resolved to send one of the angels down to earth to check it out. After a few days the angel came back and reported, “It’s even worse than you thought, God. About 95% of the people are on the wrong path, but the other 5% are really wonderful.”

Calling Our Ancestors: Healing Our Family Trees

Shannon Sullivan

Racism through the Lens of White Privilege: A Spiritual Quest

Jane E. Vennard

Living into Dying: Faith and Culture at the End of Life

Frank R. Williams

About Our Authors

Mary Ann Scofield

Shannon Sullivan

Rev. Jane E. Vennard

Frank R. Williams

Laura E. Pasquale

Jeanette Banashak

Grace Conte

Mary Ann Bigelow

More Articles

“First World II” – Melinda Schwakhofer

Caregiving: Challenges and Implications for Spiritual Direction

Laura E. Pasquale

Last year, I chatted with a woman who, it turned out, was living in our town somewhat by accident. Several years ago, she had uprooted herself, driven three hours, and moved in with an ailing parent. After more than a decade, she is still a live-in caregiver. Having heard so much about the challenges of illness and caregiving, I
was more surprised when she then said that she found this situation to be a “blessing.”

Spiritual Companionship for LGBTQIA Individuals

Jeanette Banashak

As I Am: Being Fully Human Is the Gateway to Divinity

Grace Conte

Embracing the Sacred in Our Life Stories: Grief, Grief Work, and Spiritual Direction

Mary Ann Bigelow


Staying Power

Sheila Murphy


Kristen Hobby

A Friendly Visit with God

Joy Ladin

Focus & Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor

Elizabeth Guss

Spiritual Direction/Companioning For All Times

Seifu Anil Singh-Molares

About Our Poets and Artists

Emily Lasinsky

Tim Mooney

Rosie Huart

Sheila Murphy

Melinda Schwakhofer

Kristen Hobby

Mary Barton Nees

Joy Ladin


The Great Within: The Transformative Power and Psychology of the Spiritual Path

by Han F. de Wit, PhD,
Reviewed by 
Monique CM Keffer, MA

The Time Is Now: A Call to Uncommon Courage

by Joan Chittister
Reviewed by Stephanie Bussey-Spencer Patton

Even Though I Walk: One Woman’s Journey of Prayer in the Shadow of Death

by Magda Heras and Ignasi Fossas, translated by Elaine M. Lilly
Reviewed by Amelia Stratton-Smith, MTS

Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World

by Cal Newport
Reviewed by Kathryn Madden, rc

This Life That Is Ours: Motherhood as Spiritual Practice

by Lauren Burdette
Reviewed by Kristen Hobby

The Universal Christ: How a Forgotten Reality Can Change Everything We See, Hope For, and Believe

by Richard Rohr
Reviewed by Linda Douty

The Liberating Path of the Hebrew Prophets: Then and Now

by Nahum Ward-Lev
Reviewed by Karen Lee Erlichman, DMin, LCSW

A Politics of Love: A Handbook for a New American Revolution

by Marianne Williamson
Reviewed by Pegge Erkeneff

Spiritual Rebel: A Positively Addictive Guide to Finding Deeper Perspective and Higher Purpose

by Sarah Bowen
Reviewed by Greg Richardson

Presence credits, about, and copyright goes here